Attorney General for 2021 political campaign hired me to redesign their website, logo, and overall branding in order to reach a wider demographic and increase engagement.
(It should be noted that, while the content on the campaign website was drafted and created by me, I do not identify or align myself with one political party or another.)
Client wanted to have a more "seemingly modern" website along with an inspiring logo that better reflected the Attorney General Candidate.
Redesign the website, logo, and overall branding to present a polished product that better represented the candidate and decreased bounce rate.
Since my experience in politics was rather small, my first step was learning more about the space. I asked me client questions such as:
The next step was seeing how other political teams had approached their website and logo design. I researched, not only Attorney General candidates within State, but all candidates who ran for any office within the last five years via . I also looked at political logo designs and how they have evolved, with great reference materials likehttps://www.ebaqdesign.com/blog.
With these questions we arrived at users being equally male or female, predominantly conservative, with an age range of 35 to 60. (Further notes were taken, and, in the interest of remaining politically neutral in this post, am happy to provide on a case by case basis).
I was able to make a quick change to the website, adding a new field to the existing "Volunteer Form" to include "Provide Feedback." I also asked the team to submit posts on their social media platforms asking the same and was able to meet with 7 users, asking them:
Given the feedback I got from users, I began an audit of the existing website compared with best UX Practices. Findings below.
After presenting the client with my findings I put together a small mood board to refine branding and restructure colors.
Before diving into XD, I wanted to get my thoughts onto paper so that, without being too committed to one direction or another, I could begin thinking through possible design solutions.
I began developing logos in Illustrator with the research I had conducted so far. I knew that ultimately, my design would have to convey strength and either have Red in it or reference the state of Virginia.
With the research, user interviews, and branding in a stable place, I began learning how to build a website on Wordpress.
I had experience on Wix and Squarespace and thought wordpress would be pretty similar. I was wrong in my assumption.
With research, feedback from users, and wireframes in hand I was able to produce the first iteration of the website.
My design implementations were as follows:
I presented the client with the new website. They mentioned their desire to have a few more items in the Nav Bar, along with a less traditional landing page, with references to the Richmond Capital building.
*Election was held late 2021, as such, the website has unfortunately since been taken down.*